dark am i, yet lovely, a lily among thorns, majestic as stars in procession

dark am i, yet lovely, a lily among thorns, majestic as stars in procession
WHY DESTROY YOURSELF? WHY DIE BEFORE YOUR TIME? THE KEEPERS OF THE HOUSE TREMBLE. DESIRE IS NO LONGER STIRRED. DO NOT CONFORM ANY LONGER TO THE PATTERN OF THIS WORLD.

Sunday 20 February 2011

Comeback Legs...and Singing

Dedication to Steel is to Embrace a World of Pain
For whatever reason, I stayed outta da gym for months. For an iron brother, it’s worse than cheating on your wife. That first time back after a layoff is the hardest. You just don’t want to go. You want to call it a day for good. The longer you leave it, the harder it gets. But I dragged myself there eventually with an hour to go b4 closing time and plonked my bony arse down on the seated calf raise machine.

On my way I nipped into Tesco and read FLEX. I didn’t know Tesco stocked FLEX. I was lucky because the mag wasn’t plastic wrapped. It only took me 5 minutes to read. I can’t believe I used to buy that rehash religiously.

Anyway, cutting to the chase, I had an absolute monster leg session. I wasn’t screaming or grunting, or rushing headlong into sets with the hunger and determinedness I had when I was 23 and hell-bent on getting huge, but it was...well, comprehensive. I remember one sesh in particular back in the day when my quads were the best pumped they had ever been before or since – the teardrops were drum tight and hard and taut beneath my trackies. They were humongous.

No, this was different. I took my time, and I didn’t especially push myself, but I COVERED ALL THE BASES. It’s one thing going all out on dumbbell curls for biceps, but there’s hardly any such thing as even taking it easy on squats. Let’s face it, squatting with an empty back is rather uncomfortable. And squat I did, first time in eons, straight after calves, which I always do first. Free weight, smith machine, and hack, front and back. I decided against sissy squats, because I’m not a sissy.

It was the COMPLETE leg workout (the only little thing I left out was a small personal movement for shins I invented myself which you wouldn’t understand). The main reason why is because I was UNINTERRUPTED. No chitchat. No exchanging pleasantries. It’s fine when you are in your pomp, and you are just topping up that almost constantly buff feeling 5 or 6 visits to the gym a week merits, but nattering with your buddy during a Comeback Legs workout doesn’t figure. No way. And people know it. They sense your vibe. Comeback legs is no field trip.

Today, I’m hurting. That’s standard. I get up from a seated position like an old man. Proper gritting my teeth every time. It’s beautiful though, in a morbid way. Tomorrow will be even worse. But that feeling of walking down the gym steps last night, after it was all over...

...FOR EVERYTHING ELSE, THERE’S MASTERCARD.

(shud of warmed up however. the squats shocked my nervous system. my legs were physically shaking)
~
Eat up or Shut up...it's a Gruel World---------------------------MUSIC----------------------------

DB TINKERBELL bought a keyboard about 6 years ago, but only learned how to mix his lyrics with some songs last night. It’s not straightforward – nothing is with a personal PC computer, apart from turning the hunk straight off at the wall* – but it represents a milestone of sorts nonetheless. Ironic that it should be just the beginning of a journey then, because his kind of lyrics involve a female opera singer and a children’s tabernacle choir on backing vocals. No mixed sex backing vocals, no deal. One man singing alone, no matter how good or bad, is not enough. He can’t believe his phone has that geofence tech (whereosphere) but no sound recorder. If it did, he could ask girls in the street for quick voice samples...the blond in TSB has the voice of an angel.
~
*Was waiting half an hour for this 30 second clip to upload, because it' was a Windows Movie, not a Windows Media (TM) movie, like that's important. It would have had me there waiting all night. Half an hour, for a 30 second clip.

No comments:

Post a Comment