dark am i, yet lovely, a lily among thorns, majestic as stars in procession

dark am i, yet lovely, a lily among thorns, majestic as stars in procession
WHY DESTROY YOURSELF? WHY DIE BEFORE YOUR TIME? THE KEEPERS OF THE HOUSE TREMBLE. DESIRE IS NO LONGER STIRRED. DO NOT CONFORM ANY LONGER TO THE PATTERN OF THIS WORLD.

Wednesday 5 November 2014

Bommy Night



There is no local bonfire round my end this year. It’s not quite the same if you are an adult anyway. Back in the day, I was swung over the burning embers by the biggest lads on my estate. One had my wrists, the other my ankles. I won’t mention any names, but they could have launched me into the middle of the flames and there wasn’t a damn thing I could do about it. I was terrified at the time, but now that serves as quite a good bonfire memory. No harm came of it. Before all the collected firewood was assembled into the typical molehill-shaped mountain, we used to make a den. Any mattresses would be bounced on and jumped on without any care for hygiene. There was no Call of Duty back then. Once the fire was underway, I was always one of the last ones in, trying to cook a potato wrapped up in tinfoil with no success. And I was always first back out to it in the morning, when a rustle of the grey ashes with a stick would reveal still red hot flames. I found it more fun to play with a sparkler, drawing infinity shape 8s in the smoky air, than cheap rockets. For me, now, if I desire to view fireworks, midnight the 31st of December is the best place to be. Then, you get a concentrated effect. It’s a shame, but Halloween has taken over Bonfire night, and Christmas is already on the go come this time of year as well. It’s as though Christmas is a season, like Spring; it's a full on two month process with a soggy turkey finale!

No comments:

Post a Comment