dark am i, yet lovely, a lily among thorns, majestic as stars in procession

dark am i, yet lovely, a lily among thorns, majestic as stars in procession
WHY DESTROY YOURSELF? WHY DIE BEFORE YOUR TIME? THE KEEPERS OF THE HOUSE TREMBLE. DESIRE IS NO LONGER STIRRED. DO NOT CONFORM ANY LONGER TO THE PATTERN OF THIS WORLD.

Wednesday 19 November 2014

Rehashing Weirdness


So what’s new, as they say? Well, I wrote this book back in 2007, and have just decided to go back to it. Thing is, it’s basically a collection of dreams only very loosely strung together by a tenuous plot (no prizes for getting that it’s about a man getting up out of bed). It’s really out there, let me tell’ya. To begin with, coz it's a moderately heavy 51k words, I’ve chopped it bang in half. So far I've edited one fifth of it. The title has changed from THE VIOLENT ARSONIST (hence the flaming hair) to FRIEND OR FOE. It’s currently sitting there at about 22k words, but I’ve stumbled into a dead end already. It’s almost embarrassing, combing through it. It really is the weirdest thing. The subject matter is randomly rude and zany in its dreamlike logic. I'm almost ashamed, but am putting a brave face on. The plot did come together at the end, and in a way I like it a lot, but I’m not sure if I can bear all the cutting and chopping anymore, especially when blushing because it's so bad. What I’m potentially looking at, if my finger doesn't stop hovering about the DELETE key, is a 10k word short story! I’m not sure if I’m wasting my time, but I do class it as an important piece of work (aren’t they all?).  Be a shame for the best parts of it to go unread. The lead character is a guy with an implant in his head. Interesting, yes, but it’s simply too stark-raving mad for even me, it’s author, to re-read easily. Will try and reinvent it a little bit more before making a final decision. The model on the cover is Abbie Cornish, a hottie actor. You may have seen her in Robocop or/and Limitless.

No comments:

Post a Comment