dark am i, yet lovely, a lily among thorns, majestic as stars in procession

dark am i, yet lovely, a lily among thorns, majestic as stars in procession
WHY DESTROY YOURSELF? WHY DIE BEFORE YOUR TIME? THE KEEPERS OF THE HOUSE TREMBLE. DESIRE IS NO LONGER STIRRED. DO NOT CONFORM ANY LONGER TO THE PATTERN OF THIS WORLD.

Friday 7 November 2014

Formatting


 
I been readying the new (although it’s over four years old) novel for printing, and boy, what an ache it has been. How could I have gotten through it without a little drink (three pints of Carling Premier followed by four cups of coffee)!? I even had to have a meal in between (and a little singsong on the karaoke machine)! But, alas, it is almost done (all I need now are some covers). The thing is, you see, is that the book is a 91 page document at size 11 font. On-screen, that is. When it comes to printing, though, all that changes. I get my chap books done at 48 pages at 16 font. In this case, 15 font. That means three chapbooks of 48 pages. It’s hurting my brain even now, going back into it. My novel comprises of three 48 page chapbooks, to put it simply, but the novel, to begin with, was not 144 pages long (3 times 48). I had to stretch and compress it in places. I had to split it into three parts. The difficult bit was making them even and separate, with chapter endings at the end of each section, so that they didn't finish mid-sentence. Am still working on it, but reasonably confident that they will look okay when done. Only a measly ten copies to begin with, but ten is a lot compared to none. Surely, after all this hassle, it has to be worth it. It is a classic, after all. Maybe I might let you read it one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment