dark am i, yet lovely, a lily among thorns, majestic as stars in procession

dark am i, yet lovely, a lily among thorns, majestic as stars in procession
WHY DESTROY YOURSELF? WHY DIE BEFORE YOUR TIME? THE KEEPERS OF THE HOUSE TREMBLE. DESIRE IS NO LONGER STIRRED. DO NOT CONFORM ANY LONGER TO THE PATTERN OF THIS WORLD.

Tuesday 3 May 2011

Tony Soprano

Despite all the critical acclaim, popularity, success, and every plus point I could mention about it, it boils down to this: If Tony Soprano wasn’t in it, I don’t think I would give a damn. In fact, I know for sure I wouldn’t. That’s the one key element about The Sopranos – Tony Soprano. The second factor about the show is that he regularly sees a female therapist. Doctor/patient relationships, when loaded with underlying sexual tension, are always a winner. Third would have to be his loose cannon nephew.

I remember seeing the show during the summer of 2003, on one night in particular which stands out from all the rest. That was my best summer. Do you have a best summer, or one summer evening which stands apart in your memories from others for no particular reason? On mine, it happened to be the night when I really took in The Sopranos for the first time. I was eating, near midnight, because I was bang into the gym and near my all time heaviest. Life is a breeze for any hard gainer when he is near his heaviest. Know this.

The show is so masculine. It’s a man’s world. Their gangster life is appealing, with its adrenalin, its comradeship, it’s hard cash 'n' boobs, bodies in boots, its comforts so taken for granted. Respect and fear from your peeps, honour and loyalty, rats and rank...a far cry from gossipy soaps set in pubs.


I’ve just killed the first season in a couple of days, none of which I’ve seen before, but it all started with a movie recommended by a teacher, back in school, called TRUE ROMANCE. I stayed up after my mum’s bedtime to watch this (life marker occasion). Tony Soprano was in just one of the many awesome scenes in the movie (although his stands out as perhaps the most pivotal and best). We called him The Dirty B*stard, because of his ruthless beating of Patrica Arquette. He was sooo convincing as a hit man in touch with his sensitive side, having a kind of running commentary breakdown as he did his nasty work, it was unreal. Then, when I saw The Dirty B*stard with his own drama years down the line, you bet I was gripped!

That’s why to me, the show means a lot more than it oughta. I can’t go into it here. It’s almost like the real James Gandolfini doesn’t even exist. Please don't show me his bloopers. I'd choke on his gag reel.

On just once a week, late at night however, you’d have to be dedicated to watch it religiously. Now, with box sets, internet and Sky+, it’s perfectly possible to start smashing all your fav shows in a matter of days (hey, why not on your i-phone?). There’s that many decent Americana dramas, it can sometimes feel impossible to do anything else...

No comments:

Post a Comment