dark am i, yet lovely, a lily among thorns, majestic as stars in procession

dark am i, yet lovely, a lily among thorns, majestic as stars in procession
WHY DESTROY YOURSELF? WHY DIE BEFORE YOUR TIME? THE KEEPERS OF THE HOUSE TREMBLE. DESIRE IS NO LONGER STIRRED. DO NOT CONFORM ANY LONGER TO THE PATTERN OF THIS WORLD.

Thursday 17 June 2010

A.Michael on ESCAPING HAZEL


A.Michael is my cousin and editor of DNM Fiction®. He writes very serious and unsettling short stories like Circle Host, adapted from the award-winning Druid's Temple: Virgin's Prey, which was about possession in a stone circle. You can read his invoking paranoid reflections in the Fiend or Foe post in MARCH, if you can hack it. This is him speaking about his most recent work:

"I'm not prolific at all. Sometimes I write only an hour a week. This was written exclusively in a coffee shop in black gel and biro pen. I never plan it out before hand. The plot develops in my subconscious over time. That's if what I'm writing even has a plot. The good thing about Druid's Temple is that it had a beginning, middle and end. Well, I'll tell you now: Escaping Hazel doesn't even have paragraphs, because it IS just one HUGE paragraph; 4 or 5 thousand words worth of unbroken sentences without a single line break.

"Stephen King wrote the whole of his book Dolores Claiborne without chapters, which I thought was odd, but even he had the decency to split it into paragraphs. I will not afford any such courtesy, because the uninviting prospect of reading a long solid block of text is appropriate for the ugly content. It isn't pretty.

"There's not a single line of dialogue in it so far. I've reached what could either be the end of a short story or the end of the 1st part to a novel. There's more fuel to burn there. But I think I'll wrap it up into a short piece. Like I said, it's not family reading.

"Basically, it's about a downloaded interactive holograph. I wouldn't want to give any more away than that because it is only an early draft and I haven't researched the technology side of things yet. Not that my research involves anything more than a quick Google search. I'm a stickler for as little research as possible. Haven't even finalised the title yet.

"I wouldn't say it was scary, just dark, gloomy, and all doom, but as usual I've written it in first person perspective. It's not meant to be enjoyed. It's more of a lesson, or a warning. Super sombre, and VERY emotive, it is what it is."

A.Michael
'darkness is for everyone'

No comments:

Post a Comment