dark am i, yet lovely, a lily among thorns, majestic as stars in procession

dark am i, yet lovely, a lily among thorns, majestic as stars in procession
WHY DESTROY YOURSELF? WHY DIE BEFORE YOUR TIME? THE KEEPERS OF THE HOUSE TREMBLE. DESIRE IS NO LONGER STIRRED. DO NOT CONFORM ANY LONGER TO THE PATTERN OF THIS WORLD.

Wednesday 14 April 2010

Childhood Inspiration

Bedtime, almost, so a man who once was a boy retires to bed. His adult life isn't perfect, but he still dreams it to be......

DB Tinkerbell, resident WOL Muscian, has admitted that he still watches cartoons. Worse, he even purchased a cartoon DVD so he could watch the same cartoons over and over. The cartoons he likes (see above) are short animated songs, 13 in all, featuring a young boy and his kind-of-pet spider. A singing man and his guitar provide the soundtracks.

"This caught me at my most impressionable, after a stressful day at school," says the DJ, who hasn't produced any new material himself for almost 18 months. "Spider's Song was on the telly when I got in. It just grabbed me straight away. So moving, so poignant. The following Friday I was sprinting home ahead of my mates to catch the next episode. I think that would have to have been Hamster Chase. And then the series ended. I heard nothing else of it for eight years."

They obviously left their mark if he felt compelled to buy the series as an adult eight years later.

"The third one I listen to regularly at the moment is True friend," he continues. "I'll tell you right now, for a man with just an acoustic guitar, these songs for children are proper tunes. But the vital ingredient is the man's kids, or I like to think that they are his kids, it would be nice if they were, who provide backing vocals for the songs. Aw mate, you gotta hear then to believe them. Voices of angels. Angels, I'm telling you. Sure, I like my hard trancing with Dave Pierce on Radio 1 on a Sunday night, and I crave my share of angry metal, but this is something else, this, this balances everything."

He doesn't even listen to his cartoons through headphones, so his neighbours must think he is babysitting a lot lately.

"I listen to those 3 songs, and I am a boy again," finishes DB Tinkerbell, who is also competent on the flute, or recorder as he likes to call it. "They take all what is bad about being an adult away, and they retain that magic from childhood......running home quick to get inspired."

And he believes it should be mandatory for children to watch material like this, along with the likes of The Snow Queen and King Kong.

A.J *THE ANONYMOUS JOURNALIST*
reporting via virgin landline


No comments:

Post a Comment