dark am i, yet lovely, a lily among thorns, majestic as stars in procession

dark am i, yet lovely, a lily among thorns, majestic as stars in procession
WHY DESTROY YOURSELF? WHY DIE BEFORE YOUR TIME? THE KEEPERS OF THE HOUSE TREMBLE. DESIRE IS NO LONGER STIRRED. DO NOT CONFORM ANY LONGER TO THE PATTERN OF THIS WORLD.

Monday 12 July 2010

Brazilian Transvestite


the brazilian transvestite
by SIMON

I didn't make this but I sure wish I did. It's absolutely awesome, in my opinion. I'd have this in pride of place in the living room no matter where I lived. It's a crying shame that it has become damaged lately, probably knocked over, but it still lives on.

The young chap responsible for it's creation no longer attends class. He actually said I could have it for nothing (wadda guy, eh?) but before I got a chance to take it home, it had been moved onto a display shelf for public viewing, and Simon wasn't seen again, so that was the end of that. I would have looked after it better, I know that much, but at least others have an opportunity to witness a truly jolly-hearted piece of craftsmanship. I often share a quiet moment with the Brazilian transvestite. For a moment, it takes all the hardship outta life.

Simon perhaps offered me this because I gave him a picture of a lion one time. Jokingly, I said I had drawn the best lion ever. He was intrigued, and when I showed him, he said it WAS the best lion ever, and in my book that entitled him to a copy, so I gave him one. I was also doing some cut-out collage arrangements at the time which he commented on. He said, and I quote:

"You can change peoples' lives doing that."

You know what? That comment ensures that I'll never stop doing collages. He stated what I had hoped in my heart was true but had never been pragmatic enough to contemplate. That's the deal with art: Someone somewhere just might have a killer reaction and be knocked off their feet. Sweeping floors, order picking or driving a forklift just ain't the same.

Nobody ever made such inspirational comments when I was removing the labels from out-of-date tuna fish in the John West warehouse.

Personally, I'm knocked off my feet every time I turn a page in a good comic book. The actual drawers and inkers of those comics do it day in day out, and it probably don't seem like too much of a hoo haa, but when something's so far beyond your own capabilities, like gymnastics, diving, or marathon running for example, the impressive wow factor impact just seems all the more greater.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The only other thing that comes close to this is what a new bloke made on his first ever attempt, several weeks back: a GORILLA hand. It wasn't bad actually, he got the thumb and the palm and the fingers all decent, and even got the hair down to a tee, which I thought couldn't be done. And although he hasn't finished it yet, I have made him promise me that he will put PINK fingernails on it. That's right, a black King Kong Gorilla hand with bright pink fingernails.

No comments:

Post a Comment