dark am i, yet lovely, a lily among thorns, majestic as stars in procession

dark am i, yet lovely, a lily among thorns, majestic as stars in procession
WHY DESTROY YOURSELF? WHY DIE BEFORE YOUR TIME? THE KEEPERS OF THE HOUSE TREMBLE. DESIRE IS NO LONGER STIRRED. DO NOT CONFORM ANY LONGER TO THE PATTERN OF THIS WORLD.

Thursday 1 July 2010

Termite House


If I had to lose one of the latest 5 termite builds, then I would have chosen this one, but that’s hardly a consolation. I think it was too solid a blocky mass, or had some trapped air in it. It will look superior with a slate-effect roof anyway, which I intend to add onto the remake. Not yet though. It can wait a while. Feeling lazy.

Paint Detail: Never spend too much time on something that can drop and shatter in an instant.

As of late, I will try not to spend more than two sessions (4 or 5 hours) on one particular piece (not that I ever did anyway). One session to make, one session to paint. Full time, I could really go gung-ho on the painting and easily spend a couple of days going dotty with the SCRAFFITO tool. 2 hours to paint even the smallest patch of porcelain feels like the blink of an eye, to me; at the end, when it should be done, I can’t help but think to myself that this is just the beginning, the base layer. Selling points of The Ceramic Devision are ‘detailed all over’ and ‘every inch covered’, but maybe that’s not wise when it comes to costs etc. I seem to spend the bulk of the painting process on the backs and undersides of objects, where nobody will see. Duh!

Because I believe in the little fine details. There’s nothing bigger.

With the Termite line however, the proof is in the design itself, and painting the ‘threads’ or ‘laces’ a different colour to the object body, as I would like, would be too time-consuming to not want to sell anything for less than £75billion. So that means that most of them will likely be coated twice with just a single colour. There are some truly astonishing glazes out there but expect anything by TCD in the near future to be either, gold, blue, or black & white.

You’ll see, if you stay returning. It’s gonna be just great!

No comments:

Post a Comment