dark am i, yet lovely, a lily among thorns, majestic as stars in procession

dark am i, yet lovely, a lily among thorns, majestic as stars in procession
WHY DESTROY YOURSELF? WHY DIE BEFORE YOUR TIME? THE KEEPERS OF THE HOUSE TREMBLE. DESIRE IS NO LONGER STIRRED. DO NOT CONFORM ANY LONGER TO THE PATTERN OF THIS WORLD.

Wednesday 14 July 2010

New Ornaments


No plan, no design......just making whatever comes to mind. It's really simple and fun.

For the one on the left, I used the extractor to give me a fat coil and wound it up into a cup shape, slicing the bottom flat with a knife so it could stand up. Then I did the same with a slimmer coil and put the slim one inside the fat one. To top it off I rolled two balls to go into the top. Somebody said it looks like a sex aid, or a man getting choked in a big hand.

The one on the right started as a small vase, before I cut it in half and inserted the bottom half into the top half. Then I hand-cut and rolled a kind of clay straw for the little rolled worms to go into.

Judging by the similarity of these, I think I will classify them under an 'insertion' technique, because of how they are configured from dual parts. That gives me several personal techniques I have discovered without ever reading a single paragraph about 'how to' in pottery. The sheer physicality of a piece when it comes about through trial and error and suddenly takes shape is worlds apart from dealing with words in ink or words on a computer screen when writing about ideas and make-believe characters. One moment you're down after cocking something up, but with the next you're high when it becomes something good you didn't expect.

Projected colours: Gold and Blue

When you're building instinctively you will always run into problems, but there is always a way out or around them. The worst that can happen is scrunching the clay up and starting again.



No comments:

Post a Comment